Saturday 18 February 2012

Homemade Chocolate Fondue

Made chocolate fondue for K's birthday. I didn't want it to be a normal cake and candle affair so I thought that chocolate fondue would be a nice touch, especially since K's been craving it lately.

Looked through several recipes online but they were too complicated. Some required like specific types of chocolate, some wanted to add butter, some needed wine. I got fed up so I just threw some things together and it worked.

It's really really really simple.

Ingredients:
2 bars of chocolate (or more or less depending on how much you want)
Milk

That is all!

And you can basically get any dips that you want. I had strawberries (the classic), ice cream, marshmallow, banana, pineapple and guava. 



The guava tasted really weird with chocolate though so I wouldn't suggest it. The best by far imo is ice cream. The hot and cold combi creates a very nice and fuzzy contrast when the ice cream just melts in your mouth. 
But its kind of hard to dip the ice cream in the chocolate sauce seeing how they are not in nice little balls, so what I did was to drizzle chocolate sauce over them instead. You can make them into nice little balls with the scoop thing, but I didn't have it so I just made do.


What I did was to break up the chocolate bar into small pieces and place them into a bowl. Next, boil a saucepan of water. (I only have limited cooking utensils la) When the water is boiling/very hot, place the bowl in the middle and keep on stirring while adding in milk once in a while. You can control the concentration of milk depending on how thick you want the chocolate to be. 

It was my first time trying so the chocolate came out very thick at first, because I put in way too little milk, but we added milk afterwards while eating and it still managed to mix in well.


Place the bowl on a stand, I used the chinese cooking stand thing that my mom always use to steam stuff. They come in different sizes and I got mine from one of those ABC shops in Clementi for $1.60.

Light up a tea candle and placed it below the bowl. It's to keep the chocolate semi warm so that it doesn't coagulate so fast. But seeing how small it is I don't think it served its purpose la. More like for aesthetics. Haha. But the chocolate will stay in the sauce form for some time, especially if its more diluted. You also have to keep stirring occasionally throughout.


So there! We cleared the bowl damn fast. It's really a super easy recipe to do and much much cheaper than the price you pay outside. So if you're bored you can always try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment