Thursday 5 December 2013

Koh Grill & Sushi Bar: Shiok Maki? I Don't Think So.

Pictures of the shiok maki from Koh Grill & Sushi Bar has been flooding my instagram for quite some time now. So I convinced K to go try it with me once my exams ended.

Boy, was it a mistake.

The queue for the place was superrrrrrrrr long. Like, it snaked almost all the way to the escalator. And it really got my hopes up.

We made reservations so it felt really good and badass to be able to cut to the front of the queue and waltz right in. 

But that's about where the good part ended.

We were seated right next to this other couple, so we were actually sharing tables. There wasn't any space to shift the tables slightly apart as well because the aisle was really narrow. This made all conversations extremely awkward because, well, you can basically hear everything that the other table was talking about.

Still, if the food was good, I wouldn't be so upset about it.

We ordered both generations of the famous shiok makis and some other stuff.

 The first generation with eel.

The second generation with prawns.

The first bite was good enough. The yellow sauce was really nice and I like fish roe. But soon after, you realize that the filling is actually really small, and the more I ate it, the more I disliked it.

It isn't so much that it didn't taste nice. It's just that, with all that hype, I expected more from it. It just seemed so normal, even the Sushi Tei version can beat it hands down, and they're priced about the same.

We also had the grilled bacon wrap with enokitake mushroom and the tempura udon, but both were merely passable.

I have no idea what the hype is all about and what is up with that long queue but one thing is for sure, I don't think I'll want to come back to this restaurant again.

No comments:

Post a Comment